Featured Post

Watch your filter

The start of my teen years was not only filled with Middle School and teen awkwardness. I was also greeted with Type 1 diabetes, epilepsy, a...

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Let's learn

Said: "Did you get diabetes after you ate too much sugar?"

*Not a certain time in my life- anyone out there with diabetes has answered this a lot!

Should have said: How did you get diabetes?


I can't help it. After working as a nurse in patient teaching jobs I can't help but teach people about body malfunction (PC illness), even if they don't have it.

No, I did not get diabetes after I ate a lot of sugar (as was thought by a lot of people around me). Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease with genetics and environment playing a part. As I explained to my 6 year old who asked how I got diabetes, my white blood cells got confused and thought my pancreas (and thyroid) were foreign and needed to be taken care of.  My 6 yo understands- the public should, too.

People with (and some without) Type 1 diabetes have certain autoantibodies and depending on their luck something in their environment plays a part in them getting diabetes. This could be a virus, other physical stress, who knows what else.

Type 2 diabetes has a very strong genetic link.  It does have more to do with your diet and health, and there can be preventative measures. Even if you take the best care of your body your genetics may still win.

Gestational diabetes is also strongly genetic. In some instances it leads to Type 1 or Type 2 later on in life.

Type 1 or Type 2, don't let people get away with telling you it's because you ate too much sugar!! Corner them, and let them into reality so they don't say something dumb to other people.


Read and learn



No comments:

Post a Comment